Mar 24, 2017
Laura Shanley, Founder of Periods for Politicians, shares her
experience and what she has learned about navigating the waters of
social media and activism.
Highlights and Takeaways
- Starting the Periods for Pence Facebook page after becoming
disgusted with actions of Indiana's then Governor Mike Pence
- Answering the question "What gives you the right?"
- Using humor as a form of protest
- Who knew there were so many euphemisms for periods?
- The power of social media to create a movement
- The community that has grown up around Periods for
- Working to make our community stronger
- The difference in community from Facebook to Twitter
- Finding joy in getting off of Facebook for awhile
- Why she remained anonymous for awhile
- The challenge of accepting what you need to learn
- Learning to be gracious when she was wrong
- How acknowledging what you don't understand makes you a better
- Clues that you need to be listening and not talking
- Approaching issues from a human standpoint and compassionate
Apps and Resources to Help You Get Politically